Friday, June 3, 2016

The Living History Museum

Can you guess who I am?
(hint: TV show)

Here's the cast of characters: Pocahontas, Houdini, Crockett,
Lincoln, Barton, Stevens, Lombardi, Boone, and guess who?
My 3rd grade class has a lot of Class.

If you guessed "Little House on the Prairie", you're
correct-- I'm Laura Ingalls Wilder !
( I handed out popcorn to my visitors, while they
listened to my life story, below)


Laura Ingalls Wilder
by Riley

Hello, my name is Laura Ingalls Wilder. I was born in a log cabin in the "big woods" of Pepin, Wisconsin on February 7, 1867. I died in my house that I called Rocky Ridge in Mansfield, Missouri at the age of 90.
When I was two years old, my family moved by covered wagon (also known as a prairie schooner) from Wisconsin to Indian Territory in Kansas. This was the beginning of my travels.  My family and I went to Minnesota, Iowa, and the Dakota Territory, which later became South Dakota.
I went to a lot of different schools, and since I loved to read and learn, I was always at the head of my class. My family (Pa, Ma, Mary, Carrie, Grace, and me) liked to go to church on Sundays, and I also studied the Bible in school. I became a teacher when I was only 15 years old!!
Many interesting things happened during my life, and when I got older, I decided to write about the Pioneer Days and Homesteading. My eight Little House on the Prairie books have been read by many children, and have even been made into a TV series! People still read my books, and they have been translated into 40 different languages and printed 60 million times!! They are even printed in Braille in honor of my blind sister, Mary. I wrote the books so that other people would know what it was like to live in the 1800s.
I have been described as responsible, spunky, independent, clever, and brave, but my best quality is my determination. That is what helped me write all of my books.